Tuesday, December 11, 2012

2012, and getting ready for 2013

I have one more quilt to finish this year- and then I can hopefully have a week to do some of my own work :). This pre-Christmas period has been crazy- and I mean crazy! Working at my day job, being a full time mommy, and getting up at silly o'clock to get 2 or 3 hours of quilting in before work means I'm tired. Really tired!

Being this amazingly busy has given me pause; can I continue? I want to, that's certainly true, but can I physically? I have been a bit poorly for the last couple of years, and I have never had a great constitution. A hundred years ago, or so, I guess I would have been 'delicate'.

So I started reflecting on what elements of my business I enjoyed the most.

I LOVE teaching my free motion classes! I particularly love seeing everyone's terrified faces when we start, and the happy bouncy 'when can we do this again?' as those previously terrified newbies are leaving. I've taught classes and received such amazing feedback. Some of you (yes, that's you Ellen) keep coming back to do the same class again and again, just because you can! After one free motion class, I overheard one lady tell her neighbor 'I'm never watching tv again!'. No- I can't cut back on my teaching schedule.

Ok, so the quilts then. As you will know, I quilt on my domestic machine, and you will also know, I'm sure, that I cannot abide pantographs and any other form of turning your unique creation into the same as someone else's. I really, really love to custom quilt your quilts. All of my wonderful kids get into the design process as we hang up the quilt top and talk about what should go where. I love when they come home from school and say, 'so, which bits did you quilt today?' 'Did you finish the japanese one?'

Each of your quilts becomes a living, breathing member of our family. It has a personality all of its own. Some quilts are quiet and unassuming, but just like people, with a little bit of encouragement, they shine. Some quilts are boisterous and loud, and they don't need any encouragement! They leap about showing off their attributes!

And that's what I enjoy the most, helping quilts shine!

That being said, my decision is made. In 2013, I will only be accepting custom quilting commissions. I am also going to have to restructure the pricing structure. By the new year, I will have worked this out, but my aim is to have three simple categories, minimum, medium and full custom quilting. If your quilt is already with me, the new pricing structure WILL NOT APPLY, don't worry :)

I am sorry if this structure change will upset any of my current clientele, but to continue as I am is unsustainable. I want to ensure that I have the time and energy to make your quilt sing!

Please understand that this has not been an easy decision to make, and has taken a great deal of soul searching to decide upon the most effective way forward.


Right, I think that's enough rambling for now.

Merry Christmas and happy new piecing!!!

Rachelle x

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for wanting to leave a comment. I love reading them all. Rachelle x